v

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

"Will we, of Deadwod, be more than just targets for ass-fucking?"...

Right now, without a doubt, Deadwood is my favorite show on TV. In fact, it has replaced Six Feet Under and The Wire as my favorite HBO shows, and is quickly moving up the list of my all time favorite shows.

Sure, part of my love for the show is that I'm a vulgarian and this show cusses more than any show ever (for example, take a look at The Number of Fucks in Deadwood to learn that in 20 episodes, there have been 1,602 fucks, for a fuck-per-minute ratio of 1.46), but it's way more than that. The show moves at a seemingly slow pace, allowing characters time to gain incredible depth (compared to, say, Joey - while I haven't watched that show since the piss-poor premier, I suspect his character hasn't grown one lick) and allowing the plot to carefully and intricately slither forward. And the show's fantastic Elizabethan-esque dialogue, while cuss-laden, is also incredibly poetic and thick with subcontext. I'm often rewinding just to better hear and understand the dialogue (or because I flat out missed something from laughing so damn hard). And nobody's going to convince me that Al Swearengen isn't the best TV character ever.

Anyway, I bring this up because my favorite TV critic, Heather Havrilesky, did her weekly column this week in the dialogue stylings of Deadwood, and it's absolutely wonderful. Go read this week's I Like to Watch and see what I mean (and as her disclaimer says, "Those with fragile sensibilities should follow their fancy elsewhere!").

Cocksuckers.

8 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger Bug said...

By the way, yenius. I just read your profile and it wasn't Crazy Cat and Minute Mouse.

It was Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse.

Unless you got up at 5:15, created in 45 minutes your own cartoon called "Crazy Cat and Minute Mouse" that risked copyright infringement, went back to bed, and then got up at 6:15 to watch it again.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger seth f said...

Well maybe I did get up extra early and create my own cartoon, buddy! And don't tell me about copyright infringement.

Sigh...this is only the first of many times my faulty memory will likely cause problems. The stupid reference in my profile has been fixed.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger EmoRiot said...

Are you kidding me, about Joey!!!?!?

I mean, this last week's Joey was about how Joey's sister was having trouble letting go of her mothering role now that her son has moved in with Joey, while Joey was simultaneously having trouble in his acting career.

The episode you saw, the premiere, was way back when Joey's sister was having trouble letting go of her mothering role now that her son has moved in with Joey, while Joey was simultaneously having trouble in his acting career.

There's more development than John Cage's 4'33!!!!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Bug said...

Firmly cementing my role as Most Annoying Guy in the Blog, I feel neuroticaly compelled to correct everything.

The name of John Cage's piece is 4:22.

You may now throw things at me and call me names.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Bug said...

And then I googled it and found out that I'm wrong. You're right.

Rest assured that I threw a notepad at my head and then called myself a dickhead.

I'll shut up now.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger seth f said...

The "Most Annoying Guy in the Blog" trophy is being buffed up as we speak!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger EmoRiot said...

See, correcting me doesn't get you "Most Annoying Guy in the Blog." Incorrectly correcting me. That's what did it! ;-)

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Bug said...

Yeah. I bite.

But, at least it got me a trophy. I'll clear space off of my bookshelf for it tonight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home