v

Monday, June 27, 2005

Mars needs religion...

Very interesting article over at Salon about Tom Cruise's apparent new role as a Scientology missionary, and the possible relation to his elevation in rank over at the Church of Scientology.

You know, I'm very libertarian in the sense that, as long as your beliefs don't impinge on others, I'm all for you believing whatever you want to believe. In fact, that's my one big beef with organized religion as a whole, is the general ground swell to get nonbelievers to "see the light." So even though I'm not a religious guy, I can understand where people's beliefs in most of the major religions come from. But this whole Xenu thing is utterly mindboggling to me.

5 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger EmoRiot said...

Funny, Tom Cruise gets asked something relating to Scientology's alien connection and he reacts... well... kind of like you would if a reporter just asked you about your religion's background of alien connections... but for Tom, it seems, the shock and surprise isn't appropriate since his religion has that.

Ask Billy Graham and you'd expect this reaction. Not Tommy Boy.

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2658893

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Bug said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Bug said...

Scientolody should team up with Mountain Dew to help with promotion of their religion and then they could license old Rush music to help sell their new soda called "Xenu Dew".

Pretty long journey there for a pretty weak joke.

I'm awesome.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger EmoRiot said...

Wow, that was a really long set up for a half-working joke that requires obscure knowledge of a B-List prog band from 25 years ago. Well done, bug.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Bug said...

Thank you. I'm very proud of it.

So proud, in fact, that I typoed something the first time I tried to type it and - rather than thinking better of it - deleted it and typed the whole damn thing again.

That's dedication, baby!

To quote Axel Rose, "it's funny how everything was roses when we held on to the guns."

I'm not entirely sure how that's appropriate right now, but have a think on it. I'm sure it'll be meaningful to you somehow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home