v

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry...

(SPOILER alert - don't read if you haven't seen the finale of 24 and you don't want to know stuff. You've been warned).

To me, this season of 24 was generally pretty boring. That being said, I was actually mostly entertained by last night's episode. My biggest complaint about it is that the show seems to have lost some respect for its audience. Most of the "surprises" were predictable and lacked any real suspense? Did anyone really believe that the Bad Chick and Tony were in the car when it blowed up? Did anyone really believe that Jack had been killed by that secret service douchebag? Did anyone really believe the Mummy wasn't going to fall to his head-splitting death? Of course not.

Instead, I rather enjoyed the sentimental bits. The scenes between Michelle and Tony, though predictable, were done well - particularly their reuniting after his false death. And I thought Kiefer played the ending surprisingly well, showing us that his new little identify-free/nomad life is actually a blessing, allowing him to finally get away from the life of CTU that has caused him 4 days of pain.

But more importantly, Kiefer's last scene brings up the real reason why I'm even bothering to post about the show. They really missed a fantastic moment at the end there, with Kiefer walking down the train tracks, his life in one bag, leaving everything behind, not knowing where he was going. Does this remind you of the end of another show? I mean, come on man - why weren't they playing The Lonely Man Theme from The Incredible Hulk. You know the tune - that sad little piano riff that played while David Banner walked away from another chance at having a normal life at the end of almost every episode. I was honestly laughing my ass off at the end of the show, as that was all I could think of. Damn you Fox, for missing a fantastic pop culture referencing opportunity (and one that's already appeared on your network, since Family Guy did a bit with Stewie walking down a lonely road with said music playing behind him).

As a final note, as much as I like Kiefer and whoever the dude is who plays Tony, I hope they stick with what they've built up to, and keep these characters out next year. A fresh slate of characters could inject some much needed new life into this show. Plus, if they brought new people in, they could build some additional suspense and up the stakes, as any character could really be game for getting macked by next season's bad guys (since there wouldn't be the same attachment that the viewers have to Jack and Tony). Unfortunately, however, I do know it won't be an entirely new cast, as they've locked the utterly unappealing, unrealistic and unbelievable Chloe down for Season 5. Her character is one that should totally be killed. Maybe someone who was in the fallout radius of that melted down nuclear reactor will show up in Season 5, get angry at Chloe's obnoxiousness, turn big and green, and pop her head off like a dandelion....

4 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger EmoRiot said...

I must say I also enjoyed the season but I got the sense that they weren't leaving jack behind. They were going to follow jack. I think the setting is too played out. People working in CTU, a government office that seems to get outfitted with the latest gadgets, try to thwart yet another national terrorist threat that somehow always comes back to los angeles. That's the part that would become totally beaten for a 5th season. But to follow Jack in wherever he goes and do that in real time could be cool again. Maybe he goes covert for the CIA, since he's already dead to the world. I dunno.

And also, Chloe is a great character. I like how socially disfunctional she is. Glad to hear she's coming back. So suck it, time sucker!

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger seth f said...

Yeah, following Jack could make for an interestingly different show, and I agree with your comment about things being too played out with the LA CTU connection. I guess we'll just have to see. I'm not holding breath, either way, that the show will be anything special next year - I think they're running their course. But I'll give them the benefit for now....

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger EmoRiot said...

But the announcer said "you haven't seen anything yet." in that gravely voice that makes everything sound amazing. I mean, they wouldn't hype something if they don't have the goods to back it up, right? ;)

I'm actually starting to think that the FCC should start fining shows for misuse of the gravely voice. ER is the first recipient. "Tonight don't miss an ER that you'll still be talking about on your death bed." or "Next week on ER will do something never before seen on television." or "In an all-new ER which will leave you literally speechless for days."

But in general, shows are overusing this poor guy's voice. No wonder he's got the gravel.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Bug said...

The worst was Trump's "Up next, the season finale of The Apprentice." only to then not deliver on the season finale.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home